General Electric Technical Grid Engineer -GE Renewable Energy in Melbourne, Australia
GE Renewable Energy is a 9 billion dollar start-up that brings together one of the broadest product and service portfolios of the renewable energy industry. With 13,000 employees present in more than 40 countries, and headquartered in Paris, GE Renewable Energy is backed-up by the resources of the world’s first digital industrial company. We take the earth’s most abundant resources - the strength of the wind, the force of water, and the heat of the sun, - and put them to work with breakthrough technology that unleashes their true possibilities. Combining onshore and offshore wind, hydro and innovative technologies such as concentrated solar power, GE Renewable Energy has installed more than 370 gigawatts capacity globally to make the world work better and cleaner.
GE is the world's Digital Industrial Company, transforming industry with software-defined machines and solutions that are connected, responsive and predictive. Through our people, leadership development, services, technology and scale, GE delivers better outcomes for global customers by speaking the language of industry.
GE Renewable Energy operates and maintains several wind farms in the APAC region. The Technical Grid Engineer is responsible for taking a lead role in the design and grid connection assessment of GE’s power plant projects, and providing advice and recommendation’s for the renewable energy business. The core functions of the Grid Engineer include the undertaking of conceptual design, static and dynamic modelling and general cost performance optimization of GE's power plant projects.
Working within the broader Projects and Services team and reporting to the Director Projects and Services, the daily working relationship is primarily to the Technical Director in support of new and existing wind farm.
It is not envisaged that the position will have any direct reports however may be responsible for supervision of contractors and sub-contractors.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS (RESPONSIBILITIES):
• Establish through discussion with Utilities and/or through the use of subcontractors, the grid options available to a wind farm project during the development phase.
• Completion and progressing of connection applications and analysis of resulting offers.
• Negotiation with the relevant stakeholders on technical requirements contained in the grid offers and connection agreements.
• Define the technical requirements for the wind turbines and the electrical design.
• Grid connection/compliance studies - flicker, harmonics, loadflow and short circuit level, and dynamics.
• Technical accuracy of studies/investigations carried out and the analysis that underpin them.
• Preparation of high quality technical reports for major tasks undertaken (reticulation design and grid connection assessments).
• Managing project grid connections through the construction phase.
• Manage grid code compliance.
• Participation in industry forums.
• Provide support and guidance to the grid engineers.
• Manage and optimize the reticulation design of GE's power plant projects.
• Manage quality customer relations; internal and external.
• Support the tendering process to develop new business in energy projects.
• Develop innovative and creative approach to providing engineering solutions.
• Tertiary qualification in electrical engineering with a power system focus and experience in power system analysis with software tools such as PSSE and PSCAD.
• Interpretation and application of the Electricity Regulatory framework as they apply to the GE technology and prospective GE power plant projects.
• Professional experience with EPC project engineering and construction is desirable.
• Power generation project or utility experience.
• Well-developed power system analysis skills including the ability to use computer simulation tools for loadflow, short circuit calculations, transient stability and EMT type studies.
• Proficient in a range of general computer packages (eg. Word processing, excel, autocad, etc). Proven ability to prepare high quality reports suitable for senior management and external stakeholders.
• Well-founded communication skills oral and written in English.
• Understanding of foreign cultures and empathy.
• Flexible attitude to tasks and an open mind for new challenges.
• Ability to manage a range of tasks with varying time pressures.
• Highly developed inter-personal and organisational skills. Ability to prioritise demanding workloads and pay attention to detail.
The ideal candidate will be flexible with a can-do attitude and willing and able to work with teams around the region. Attention to detail and to comply with technical and corporate compliance requirements is a must.
Other Important Information
Travel within APAC will be required for short periods of time.
Due to international business contacts, attendance at out of hours teleconferences may be required.
Locations: Australia; Melbourne
GE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE is an Equal Opportunity Employer at http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeocselfprint_poster.pdf . Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.