Bechtel Corporation Supervisor - Electrical Process Facility Job in Weipa, Australia
Requisition ID: 186982
Bechtel is a global provider of engineering, construction, and project management services with a reputation for excellence and innovative project delivery. An immediate opportunity exists, within our Mining and Metals business unit to be part of the exciting Rio Tinto Amrun Bauxite project, in far north Queensland.
The Amrun Project encompasses the engineering, procurement, and construction management (EPCM) of a range of infrastructure required to support a new bauxite mine on part of Rio Tinto’s existing lease, south of the Embley River, between Weipa and Aurukun on the Western Cape York Peninsular. This includes the construction of a bauxite mine, accommodation, processing plant, dam, tailings storage facility, roads, export wharf, and ferry terminals to transport the workforce from Weipa to the mine. At the request of Traditional Owners, the project is known as Amrun—the Wik‑Waya name for the area.
The Home Office team will be based in the Brisbane CBD, supported by the New Delhi Execution Unit. The Field Office team will be located at the job site with camp accommodation provided and a FIFO work roster.
The successful applicant will be assigned to the EPCM field construction organisation in a supervisory capacity in the electrical and instrumentation discipline, responsible for supervising and directing operations within his area as assigned. Responsible for the supervision and direction of the nominated contractor and subcontractors to deliver the scope of work safely, to a high quality standard and within budget through to completion.
Ensures assigned construction operations and contractors performance is compliant with specifications and within project schedules and budgets.
This position is responsible for the supervision of Electrical and Instrumentation resources.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
1. Leader in the implementation of safety and environmental practices, policies and procedures; Includes leading Bechtel and Contractor safety meetings and conducting regular inspections on site for unsafe conditions and practices taking appropriate corrective action where required.
2. Champion the cause of ZERO Accident Philosophy, ensure that Bechtel and local/national safety codes, requirements and standards are being complied with within assigned area of responsibility.
3. Enforce safe work practices at all times in conjunction with the Environmental Safety and Health Supervisor.
4. Responsible for supervising and directing contractor(s) in an Engineering Procurement and Construction Management (EPCM) leadership capacity.
5. Ensure the most current design documentation is delivered on time and made available by Contractor and their Subcontractors to complete work, and that all design changes are approved prior to implementation.
6. Monitor the activities of Contractors and Subcontractors to ensure compliance with specifications and schedules.
7. Responsible for the cost, schedule and optimization of craft labor and equipment maintaining the four week look ahead, 90 Day and Integrated schedule.
8. Report on construction progress, craft personnel numbers and expenditures in liaison with Project Controls
9. Interface with labor/industrial relations for craft recruitment and training programs. Approve Contractor workforce requirements and review work accomplished by each craft.
10. Review Contractor craft time records using established automated tools.
11. Review and coordinate major Contractor equipment mobilization and demobilization.
12. Responsible for implementing corporate project policies, procedures and instructions within assigned area of responsibility.
13. Coordinate with other discipline contract Supervision and Superintendents to ensure Contractor is supported to execute work.
14. Coordinate established area operational plans.
15. Ensure Contractor reporting is on time and verified, ensure this is reported to Project Controls.
16. Coordinate with Procurement to obtain major equipment and material deliveries including traffic and logistics.
17. Identify training and development opportunities to enhance skills
18. Perform other duties as required by Bechtel management.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
1. A current Queensland Electrical License is a pre requisite for this position with additional diploma’s in engineering, instrumentation or other associated technical trade certificates from an accredited university. The successful candidate must have experience in the heavy construction industry for a minimum of 10 years and work experience at a supervisory capacity for a minimum of 5 years.
2. Knowledge of EPCM contract Management, and the Contractor(s) and their subcontractor’s responsibilities.
3. Knowledge of construction technologies
4. Knowledge of supervisory functions relating to field activities
5. Familiarity with current industry quality standards
6. Demonstrated commitment to Environment, Safety and Health (ES&H). Demonstrable commitment to a Zero Accident safety program.
7. Extensive experience in construction of large projects.
ESSENTIAL COMPANY REQUIREMENTS:
Ethics: Commitment to the Project’s ethical standards as demonstrated by success on prior projects.
Quality: Commitment to the Project’s quality standard as demonstrated by prior Supervisors’ evaluations of work performance.
ES&H: Demonstrated commitment to the Project’s Zero Incident philosophy by prior active engagement and demonstration of ES&H Leadership.
Shaping tomorrow together
Bechtel is among the most respected engineering, project management, and construction companies in the world. We stand apart for our ability to get the job done right—no matter how big, how complex, or how remote. Bechtel operates through four global business units that specialize in infrastructure; mining and metals; nuclear, security and environmental; and oil, gas, and chemicals. Since its founding in 1898, Bechtel has worked on more than 25,000 projects in 160 countries on all seven continents. Today, our 53,000 colleagues team with customers, partners, and suppliers on diverse projects in nearly 40 countries.
An Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.