General Electric Senior Counsel in Parramatta/Melbourne, Australia
GE is the world's Digital Industrial Company, transforming industry with software-defined machines and solutions that are connected, responsive and predictive. Through our people, leadership development, services, technology and scale, GE delivers better outcomes for global customers by speaking the language of industry.
Provides high quality legal services to GEHC business A&NZ & Papua New Guinea (business). Plays critical role in helping identify, manage & mitigate legal, compliance, regulatory & reputational risk. Provide legal support/advice on commercial, operational, compliance, controllership, regulatory, corporate governance, execution & strategic issues. Also provide contract drafting, negotiation & legal support on international & domestic sales agreements, dispute minimisation & resolution advice.
INDEPENDENCE AND CAPACITY
The Company acknowledges that in your capacity as a legal practitioner, you are subject to legal and professional ethical obligations in carrying out your functions and that those legal and professional ethical obligations override your duties as an employee of the Company. You are expected to provide independent and high quality legal advice and legal services to the Company to the best of your professional ability. You are expected to observe the spirit and terms of the Company’s Legal Services Protocols.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS (RESPONSIBILITIES):
• The role works directly with the business teams and the broader APAC Healthcare legal team to develop and execute business goals and objectives, including establishing and implementing business strategy.
• The role provides legal services on issues including commercial transactions, regulatory and licensing, compliance, investigations, trade controls, product liability and risk assessment, contract interpretation and dispute resolution. The role holder advises the business on the risks of possible business decisions and preventive legal counselling is a key part of the role.
• Provision of legal support to the business, including the provision of legal advice and the instruction of external legal providers. This includes the provision of day-to-day advice on transactions, documentation, precedents and marketing materials, negotiation of contracts with external parties, employment issues and providing advice on claims questions and structure of products.
• Providing legal support and input to the business’ and proactively improving or developing commercial processes, due diligence and legal productivity, simplicity and standardization including training.
• Providing advice and counsel on a wide range of regional legal and compliance issues to other members of the legal and compliance team and the business.
Work in accordance with GE Policies and Procedures, role modeling GE values and high ethical standards consistent with the GE Spirit & Letter, including:
• Drive a strong Compliance culture within the business.
• Assisting with a compliance strategy which supports the achievement of business objectives within global legislative and regulatory frameworks with emphasis on those of Australia, New Zealand and Papua New Guinea and those impacting the GE and any subsidiary businesses.
• Complement the Compliance team’s work with legal and compliance training where appropriate. Escalate Compliance, Legislative or Regulatory issues and/or concerns through the appropriate channels.
• Complete 100% of all assigned personal Compliance training by the required date
• Exhibit active leadership in driving Compliance across the business, including speaking at various events
• Evaluate the strength and openness of the Compliance culture: eg conducting round table discussions and surveys
• Law degree
• Current Australian (or recognised overseas equivalent) legal practitioner’s practising certificate
• At least 5-8 years’ post qualification experience in law, ideally gained in a major law firm and solid in-house environment
• Solid experience in commercial and general contract law, ideally in a healthcare setting
• Solid experience in providing dispute minimisation and resolution advice
• Some experience in providing strategic advice to senior management on technical issues and compliance matters
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Work without supervision and as part of a team
• Attention to detail
• Able to engage at all levels in a matrix environment
• Ability to influence
• Judgement and appropriate balance of risk management and commercial orientation
• Ability to work in an agile and cross-cultural environment and juggle international time zones
Locations: Australia; Parramatta/Melbourne
GE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE is an Equal Opportunity Employer at http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeocselfprint_poster.pdf . Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.