Google Engineering Manager, Site Reliability Engineering in Sydney, Australia
Hope is not a strategy. Engineering solutions to design, build, and maintain efficient large-scale systems is a true strategy, and a good one.
Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) is an engineering discipline that combines software and systems engineering to build and run large-scale, massively distributed, fault-tolerant systems. SRE ensures that Google's services—both our internally critical and our externally-visible systems—have reliability and uptime appropriate to users' needs and a fast rate of improvement while keeping an ever-watchful eye on capacity and performance.
SRE is also a mindset and a set of engineering approaches to running better production systems—we build our own creative engineering solutions to operations problems. Much of our software development focuses on optimizing existing systems, building infrastructure and eliminating work through automation. As SREs are responsible for the big picture of how our systems relate to each other, we use a breadth of tools and approaches to solve a broad spectrum of problems. Practices such as limiting time spent on operational work, blameless postmortems and proactive identification of potential outages factor into iterative improvement that is key to both product quality and interesting and dynamic day-to-day work.
SRE's culture of diversity, intellectual curiosity, problem solving and openness is key to its success. Our organization brings together people with a wide variety of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives. We encourage them to collaborate, think big and take risks in a blame-free environment. We promote self-direction to work on meaningful projects, while we also strive to create an environment that provides the support and mentorship needed to learn and grow.
To learn more: check out Site Reliability Engineering, written by Google SREs, watch a recorded Hangout on Air to meet some of our SREs, or read a career profile about why a software engineer chose to join SRE.
As a Site Reliability Manager within Corporate Engineering SRE, you will lead a team of highly talented individuals responsible for delivering on Corporate Engineering's mission to empower Googlers with world-leading technology. Your services are critical to Google's day-to-day operation and you will be responsible for maintaining reliability, growth and evolution of these services.
Although you have management experience, you are relentlessly technical, capable of performing the role of any engineer reporting to you. As with any Engineer we hire, the ability to communicate well is crucial, and you manage multiple initiatives with multiple engineers potentially across multiple timezones in order to achieve Google’s reliability and efficiency goals.
Behind everything our users see online is the architecture built by the Technical Infrastructure team to keep it running. From developing and maintaining our data centers to building the next generation of Google platforms, we make Google's product portfolio possible. We're proud to be our engineers' engineers and love voiding warranties by taking things apart so we can rebuild them. We're always on call to keep our networks up and running, ensuring our users have the best and fastest experience possible.
- Lead a team of Software/Systems Engineers on projects used and enjoyed by billions of users worldwide.
- Manage end-to-end availability and performance of mission critical services and build automation to prevent problem recurrence.
- Lead by example, care for your team, and establish credibility with the quality of the teams' technical execution.
- Manage on-call rotations across continents, using a follow-the-sun model.
- Design, write and deliver software to improve the availability, scalability, latency, and efficiency of Google's services.
- BA/BS degree in Computer Science or related technical field, or equivalent practical experience.
- Experience working with one or more of the following: C, C++, Java, Go and/or Python.
- Experience with Unix/Linux systems with scripting experience in Shell and Perl.
- Hands-on technical experience.
- Demonstrated expertise in recruiting and managing a team of experienced Engineers on large scale projects.
- Expertise in problem solving and analyzing global scale distributed systems.
- Proficiency in algorithms, data structures, complexity analysis and software design and/or expertise in Unix/Linux systems, IP networking, performance and application issues.
- Capable of technical deep-dives into code, networking, operating systems and storage, yet verbally and cognitively agile enough to hold your own in a strategy discussion with Google's executive team.
- Effective management and communication skills.
At Google, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. Google is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
To all recruitment agencies: Google does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Google employees or any other company location. Google is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.